View Single Post
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1047085)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BAR's front torque transfer system

I was quite intrigued by this and don't really know the full details. Obviously anything new in F1 is stamped on by other teams if they don't have it and it remains to be seen if Whiting allows it. At the moment BAR think its OK (obviously) and the rest don't (obviously).I see Dave Richards says that after clarification it might race at Hungary.

but, what is it? This is what I think, please add or contradict.

The system is basically a differential between the front two wheels allowing torque transfer. A limited slip diff for the front? Well it stops the inside wheel locking up under braking.

This has been tried before. Many years ago Benetton had a purely mechanical system. It was very heavy and difficult to set up, so wasn't really used much.

The way forward is to have a more controllable device. An hydraulic diff that can be control electronically. However several years ago the FIA offered a clarification on the rules that said it was banned.

I don't know the BAR system, but it sounds more electronic than mechanical. And I am unsure whether either are currently allowed. the rules seem quite clear. In the section of transmissions in the technical rules we have:
Quote:
9.5 Torque transfer systems :
Any system or device the design of which is capable of transferring or diverting torque from a slower to a
faster rotating wheel is not permitted.
Now this seems clear, but it is in the transmission section. Does this imply rear suspension?

Anyway if we look at the brake rules
Quote:
11.1 Brake circuits and pressure distribution :
11.1.1 All cars must be equipped with only one brake system. This system must comprise solely of two separate
hydraulic circuits operated by one pedal, one circuit operating on the two front wheels and the other on the
two rear wheels. This system must be designed so that if a failure occurs in one circuit the pedal will still
operate the brakes in the other.
11.1.2 The brake system must be designed in order that the force exerted on the brake pads within each circuit
are the same at all times.
11.1.3 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part
of the brake system is forbidden.

11.1.4 Any change to, or modulation of, the brake system whilst the car is moving must be made by the drivers
direct physical input, may not be pre-set and must be under his complete control at all times.
11.1.3 has been pointed out by Brawn. This rule seems vague as many things that effect the attitude of the car also effect this, but then the key is presumably a 'powered' device.

Does anyone else know more specifics of the BAR system?