View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:46 (Ref:1047433)   #2
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the description you have is correct, in that while similar to the bennetton system (from '98 or '99 IIRC), the BAR one operates with an electro hydraulic diff, which is far more controlable, and more consistant than the mechanical version (something which the benetton system suffered from).

So basically you have the two front wheels, connected by driveshafts, to a diff housed in the front of the chassis (I would assume in front of the drivers feet). The diff action can then be controlled, and allows torque to transfer between the two front wheels, moving it from an uloaded wheel to a loaded one, with the intention to stop the front wheels locking.

From what I've read though, I think it was only the T-Car that had the system fitted this weekend, neither of the race cars turned up with it fitted.

I personally don't think that Rule 9.5 would be the one to look at, as it's regarding transmission, however 11.1.3 might be the one, because as it's an elctronic conrol unit, it would technically be powered.

Personally, I have never seen the advantage of the system, as if your to think about all your affecting (stoping the inside wheel locking), and then all the asscoiated disadvantages (more weight, higher CoG, more aerodynamic drag due to spinning driveshafts in the airflow coming off of the front wing), and it just doesn't add up.

Just my veiw.

Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 26 Jul 2004 at 08:52.