Old 26 Jul 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1047859)   #7
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
If you are allowed to adjust bias front-to-rear (although admittedly they don't/can't actually do that whilst braking, and it is totally in the driver's control...), it doesn't seem like a big leap to adjusting bias side-to-side. In fact, that was the aim of the infamous 'tractor-brakes' that were banned a few years back...
Technically, with the front diff, your not adjusting the bias of the braking system from side-to-side, as the bias affets the amount of pressure applied by the hydraulic brake system, which while the device is connected to it, it isn't controlled by it. Instead, I suspect it's an independent system, linked to the brake pedal (how else would it know when it's braking?), and having speed sensors on both front drive shafts.
When it senses that one has almost stopped spinning (ie locked up), the diff (probably) tightens up, transmitting the torque from the wheel thats still spinning to the one that (almost) isn't, avoiding a lock-up.
This could maybe even be used in a general situatuion, possibly by reducing wheel scrub, but to be honest I don't have enough knowledge to be able to back that up, it's just an idea.

But maybe the side-side bias adjustment is something to look into, with a system that could be manually adjusted by the driver, similar to the front-rear systems employed.
Of course that would have to be manual control as if an electronic unit was used it would be similar to an Anti-Lock system, and so therefore, banned.
But even with the manual systems, some drivers have been known to adjust them from corner to corner, and with a side-side system, you would be able to set up the brakes for the side that is going to be loaded the most, hopefully avoiding lock-ups.
Final thought about that though, is the change couldn't be very big, from side-side, as other-wise the car wold pull to the side with greater bias under braking.... Which thinking about it is probably why such a system isn't used.

I can't remember exactly how the tractor brakes worked, but I know they were only on the rear wheels, and I thought they were used on the exit of the corner to provide more traction? No use for them now, what with the evil that is TC....

Just some thoughts
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 26 Jul 2004 at 15:35.