View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3393290)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i disagree with those who say it's media driven - i think it's more engineering based than that.

f1 does indeed have privateers involved at a very high level, but they've been participating in the series for a long time. they have not only the historical data, but the strong structure in the workforce, the well-established workflows, the relationships with suppliers and so on. what we see with caterham and marussia is that without a historical involvement in a sport that is really based on testing, research and development, they're seriously up against the wall. of course, not having the funding to catch up, and develop their own ideas to the same extent is a big factor too.

taking that concept and those ideas and putting them into a lmp1 context, what you'd be asking a team to do is build a car to compete with the years and years of hard r&d done by manufacturers with considerable budget and resources. it amazes me no end that porsche have managed to do it, let alone a team without decades of building various competition and road cars behind them.

and that's assuming there's a complete and bottomless budget available.