View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3393291)   #13
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Just to clarify, this was in no way meant as a stab at the WEC. It's just that it's been ~10 years since the teams isynge mentioned and I was wondering if the general consensus was that it won't happen again.
I suspect it'll take time for there to be a confluence of circumstances like we had 10 years ago. A large part of it comes down to the economy - we'll never know if promising squads like Creation could have done more had asset backed securities continued to pay the bills, or indeed if something like the Pescarolo 03 could have shown potential with cash behind it to develop it. A lot of it too requires manufacturers to be a little on the back foot.

If you look at previous cycles, in the mid 70s Mirage could win (post Matra and Ferrari pullout, Porsche between programmes, and Alfa Romeo being Alfa Romeo), mid 80s you could see a WR lead a lap on merit at Le Mans (appreciate I'm clutching at straws here!), mid 90s Courage should have won at Le Mans in '95 (manufacturers reeling post 1992 implosion), mid 2000s Zytek, Dyson, Pescarolo etc all doing well (last days of the R8). I don't see much similar happening in the mid 10s, but with the economy looking a little better, the WEC hopefully getting there in terms of becoming established, and a few programmes on the horizon maybe we'll get some pleasant surprises in the years to come.