View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2777193)   #38
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
It's in so far significant, that much of the Porsche-controversy in GT last year was due to Pirelli's inability or unwillingness to develop a tire that was acceptable for the Porsches. Grand Am gave Porsche a number of rulesbreaks, but that wasn't enough to clean up the tire situation. So if Continental can come up with a tire that suits the Porsches as well as the other GT-cars (and early indications are it will) that could play a huge role in determining the GT-field of 2011.
Can the same tire work well for all of the different types of cars in GT? I would think that the optimal tire for a rear engined car would be different from a tube frame front engined Camaro or Mazda. I guess they could make a compromise tire that is ok for both, but not great for either.

Does Continental provide a single compound for the entire season, or are they allowed to make changes throughout the year, as I'm sure racing on the oval at Daytona is a lot different than running on a traditional road circuit.