View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2013, 10:01 (Ref:3338516)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
If someone could justify how anyone in F1 could sign him - yet alone a top team - on anything other than money, I'd like to hear it.

Personally I'd now love to see the entire Qauntum deal to break down completely and Lotus to return to the mid-pack, because this is sums up exactly what is wrong with the current business model of F1, and I think that Bernie needs a wake-up call.

Now Nico Hulkenberg, a driver with arguably the best junior racing CV on the F1 grid, who basically dragged his Sauber to ridiculous positions, outfinishing Fernando Alonso (famous for outperforming his car) and even both Mercs on occasion despite having a car that was slower on race pace, will be left to look for a decent drive... ...for the 4th consecutive season.

...compare that to Maldonado, who somehow didn't get a drive-through penalty for speeding in the pit lane this season, but was still caught up in 3 incidents, 2 that were 700% avoidable and 1300% his fault. After having 3 seasons of complete idiocy and somehow a surprising (but deserved) win, despite the credit going as much to the stewards and the fact the race wasn't 1 lap longer than him.

Despite my faulty maths and the fact I am slightly angry, am I not correct?
Pastor is a very quick but erratic driver. On his day he can be sublime... evidenced by his race win last year... but put him in a bad car... and his temper seems to get the better of him more often than not... as evidenced by Williams' dark days.

He shouldn't be 'blamed' for being in F1, nor should Lotus be cast as morons for signing him. He is a symptom of the debacle F1 has engineered itself into. It is no longer a 'sport' where the world's fastest drivers compete in the world's fastest cars. Despite many attempts to curtail costs, budgets have mushroomed even larger. What I find most bizarre is that so called 'low budget' teams like Williams, Sauber and Force India have been instrumental in dismissing some of the cost cutting measures and placing themselves in peril and at the mercy of the Maldonados and Sirotkins in a quest to maintain the intrinsic value of their constructor status. It's all rather bizarre.