Old 12 Apr 2012, 13:08 (Ref:3057816)   #53
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
My agenda has never been "hidden". I'm a died-in-the-wool openwheeler fan who's sick and tired of Europhiles who are oblivious to the glaringly obvious fact that F3 has been, is now, and always will be a flop here.

If a formula can't attract a dozen cars to Adelaide and Mt Panorama, then it simply isn't worthy of Australian Drivers' Championship status.

What's needed is a formula with a 'Wow!' factor that can be marketed to race fans to watch them, and companies to sponsor them. Cars that go like sh*t off a shovel in a straight line, get a bit out of shape when they're pushed through a corner, and sound like they're racing instead of droning like an air-strangled F3.

In a nutshell, a modernised and cost-controlled F5000 with a spec chassis and aero kit, the choice of powertrain from the participating V8 Supercar manufacturers, control tyre, etc.

It would entice V8 Supercars teams to get involved, which could only be good thing.

But before any of this can happen, Australia's openwheeler teams - like the touring car teams in the 1990s - need to recognise that a European formula like F3 will never be more than a minor support act here.

Remember that catch-phrase in Field of Dreams? Build it and they will come ...
To be fair, I have said exactly the same thing on the British F3 thread. The problem is, bigger single seaters are even more expensive than F3. Formula Holden (or whatever it was) hardly worked out well in Australia.