Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Dance View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a long time reader first time poster! I wish everyone the happiest of greetings.

I couldnt help myself Morris Dancer, you are full of enthusiasm for your beloved F5000 and that is great to see! You say it should be revived and it would be great to see but in reality its not going to happen. One of the main reasons it wont is start up cost.. If you disagree how would you like to see it reborn? Which engine? Chassis? Formula Holden was I believe also a great class (control engine, control tyres etc) but costs got out of control. Race Teams will always be looking for the edge over a rival regardless of how tight the class is controlled which then drives up budgets..

Shall we Dance??
If you’d taken the trouble to read this thread (it’s only four pages), you’d know that it’s a debate between dreamers who think that F3 in Australia can survive with fields of fewer than 10 cars, and realists who know that it will never be viable, like a string of small and medium-bore openwheel formulas before it.

As one of the latter group, I’ve proposed a cost-controlled big-banger openwheeler formula to succeed F3 as Australia’s premier openwheel category.

It would be essentially a modernised F5000, with cost-control measures to avoid the escalation that destroyed F5000.

These would include homologated chassis from existing series such as SuperLeague Formula, A1GP, Formula Nippon, IRL, with limited aero (eg. single-element wings), V8 Supercar engines (preferably minus the awful explosions on upchanges), ‘bullet-proof’ transmissions, and restricted numbers of control tyres.

The new formula would have a long-term business plan – unlike F3, which CAMS annointed in desperation in 2005 after Formula Holden predictably failed to attract commercial support.

The first step would be for a consortium of teams to contract someone with entrepreneurial skills and contacts to secure a category/series title sponsor (like Repco in the 1970s) to underwrite administration, TV broadcast fees, marketing, and construction of a working prototype car to promote the category at high-profile race meetings.

The category would have a simple but catchy name like ‘Formula V8’, or even ‘Formula V8 Supercar’ if V8 Supercars wanted to be in on the deal, which would certainly give the concept a big shove.

(If V8 Supercars wasn’t interested – or was too scared – to accommodate a big-banger openwheel category, then ‘Formula V8’ could run at stand-alone race meetings alongside a series production touring car category that recreates the ultra-successful Holden-Ford war that dominated Australian motor racing from 1968-71. The only two cars allowed would be the closely matched VE Commodore SS and FG Falcon XR6 Turbo.)

It would probably take 2-3 years for drivers and teams to secure sponsorship and get themselves organised for ‘Formula V8’, but it happened in less time than that in the late 1960s when F5000 replaced the fading 2.5-litre Formula Tasman, so there’s no reason why it couldn’t happen now.

The alternative is to wring our hands at the ever-diminishing F3 fields that are making a mockery of the Australian Drivers’ Championship.

Which do you prefer?