Old 9 Jun 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3087977)   #66
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
Australia is different. The fans only like racing cars with stock block V8s, so why not give them what they like?
Because fans can be/are lemmings?

Quote:
Formula A might work (it's handy having A as your country's initial - we already have the A League in socceer/football!), but V8 in the name would be more meaningful to fans here.
I agree with ptclaus98 to create a "Formula A" series. I think ptclaus was meaning a new set of regs, then scrapping them for something else when/if it became necessary, but keeping the same name for branding type purposes. I suspect "branding" is a priority for you in whatever series carries the Gold Star trophy? That being the case, without knowing how deep is your knowledge of Aus motorsport, not everything V8Supercars does turns to gold, but that's for another thread.

Anyway, where I differentiate from yourself is that I'm not concerned with the look of promtion or branding as a high priority. I'm more concerned with getting a big field of open wheel cars in Australia first, then worrying about the other stuff. Where I differ from ptclaus98 is that, when I say "Formula A" or B, I mean a Formula Libre type class. A MediumOSS and SmallOSS Formula A/B series is the best option atm, I think.

Consider also, instead of yelling out "You have to race F3 to get into F1" I aim at the better amateurs wanting to compete in good cars to win an Australian and/or Tasman series. It's pointless nowadays to promote yourself to aspiring u25y/o. Ideally, Formula A/MOSS would start off as a combination of EuroF2, WSR, Indy Lights etc. Formula B/SOSS would be a combination of fford2000, Star Mazda, FRenault type cars, unless fford can get it's act together, but they won't.

Now clearly each of these cars have their relative strengths and weaknesses and I don't know the specs off by heart, but they don't have to run to specifications. You can also do stuff like allowing a class extra tyres and so forth, remembering you don't have to try and get those classes to run the same lap time, just manage it to be relatively equal after 10+ laps. It'd be better to pick the eyes off other series than to create a new one. It would be more cost effective to buy a second hand car off a dying series overseas, than a brand spanking new car, for a new, unique formula.

With a non-specific term, you can make whatever rules you like and change them every year, if plausible. Looking at V8Supercars, they're in a position where they're trying to attract new manufacturers, but forcing manufacturers to twist and turn something they don't have, into a V8. Almost anything can run in the ATCC, but not in V8. I suspect you already get that. Anyway, firstly, we'll see if you, or anybody else, gets what I'm saying

Quote:
Spaceframes wouldn't be acceptable. There are already safety concerns about FF1600s and F2000s racing on tracks with concrete walls (ie. street circuits and ovals).
Well, that's an easy problem to fix. Don't race them on ovals and street circuits.