View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2890682)   #61
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And this may be a shot in the arm for the ALMS, as with at least one (maybe two) rounds if Sebring and/or PLM are included, it could get them to see the light and get Don Panoz, Scott Atherton, and Scott Elkins to throw out their reservations over the GT3 cars in the ALMS and get rid of the GTC and LMPC classes sooner rather than later.
I'm not really sure how this changes anything for the ALMS. Ok, maybe there will be more manufacturer interest, but I'd imagine that the WEC will be the magnet. Ultimately, I fear that the ALMS will still need the GTC and LMPC cars to fill the fields.

Quote:
If the ACO and the FIA can manage this, it'll be a great spectical, but if not, it'll end up like the mid '90s, where a potent but ill-conceived rules package sent the series and LM spiraling out of control in as little as 18 months.
Success or failure is probably still in the hands of the ACO much more so than the FIA. The FIA could screw things up, but I guess they could have even without granting WC status by forcing the ACO to add more chicanes to the circuit and by making the cars look ugly by mandating big honkin' fins.

Anyway, I think the big thing will be to see how the LMS organizes for next year. They could set a new paradigm for domestic Le Mans style series, but they could also make the LMS completely irrelevant. I'm sure the ALMS will be watching.