View Single Post
Old 17 Mar 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3042599)   #1788
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've watched Sky's coverage for the first time.

Main points:

- Aside from Crofty's giggling at nearly everything that Brundle said (trying too hard to act like they have gelled or was he always like that during quali and the race for 5 Live?), the "race" team was fine. As you'd expect as it was all from the BBC's 2011 team so they know what they are doing.

- Simon Lazenby...I can't remember what Jake Humphrey was like when he first started presenting F1, but Lazenby seems nervous and could almost rival Raikkonen for personality. He's so dull. He doesn't strike me as a very good anchor. Steve Rider has always annoyed me a bit because he seems a bit smug, but he's good as the anchor. He'd have been a better choice, especially if he's being employed by Sky elsewhere, but maybe he's a bit too old for them.

- "Sky Pad"? There's not really any need for a cheap-looking touch screen where you can speed up or slow down the footage. That can be done off-screen and would look more professional and less ITV. You could also do away with Georgie Thompson, but she's a bit of a Sky favourite so that won't happen.

So overall...as all I ever intend to do is watch the global feed (rather than messing around with onboard footage and so on), the race coverage itself isn't all that impressive. I didn't see any of their pre-quali stuff but that's just added extras. What should matter most is the actual qualifying and race coverage. Make that good and work from there. Maybe it will improve with time though. Aspects of the BBC's first shows weren't great but it got better.