View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1480448)   #11
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF your carbs are big enough then it doesn't matter if you have a 2 or 4 valve engine peak power doesn't go up much compairing carbs against throttle bodies, however you usually find you get more power everywhere else, and a massive improvment in drivability, added to the fact you get fully mapped ignition thrown in for free.

my old beemer engine was a pig on carbs, below 5,000 you didn't even want to think about giving it a big throttle opening or it would just sulk and go nowhere, on throttle bodies the same engine would pull smoothly from 2,000 at full throttle! it also held power longer after the peak which was usful and saved a few mid corner gearchanges.

later on i put it on 8 fuel injectors, with the clever softwhere only switching the outer injectors on at high revs, whilst halving the fuel from the inners, i gained 12bhp @ 5,000

i ended up with an engine running a 336 degree cam that was tractable enough for road use

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!