View Single Post
Old 18 Nov 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2792639)   #367
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I just had a thought? Anyone got tank capacity figures for LPG, or Hydrogen?!?!?!
Old knighty here!......honest answer is I dont think the ACO allow either type of fuel....... but if they did:

LPG: refuelling is not fast or easy, the Ford BTCC LPG powered team normally do this at the back of the pit lane and the tank is not what I would term small. consider those races normally last for say 20 minutes only, then they can re-fuel it.

Hydrogen - burning this stuff in an internal combusting engine is a fools game, its an incredibly inefficient way of using it, I have seen it done and to get the equivalent milage of a diesel engine you need to multiply the fuel tank size by about 5 times.........seen it done on a transit conversion for e research company who were going to sell conversions to the white van men - it was a joke with several massive cylinders slung under the chassis, realistically hydrogen is best purged through a fuel cell to generate electricity which drives a traction motor on the axle, much more efficient, lots of "fuel cell" companies now doing this.........but again - this aint no "long distance" race system ;-)