View Single Post
Old 19 Nov 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2793284)   #372
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Hydrogen - burning this stuff in an internal combusting engine is a fools game, its an incredibly inefficient way of using it, I have seen it done and to get the equivalent milage of a diesel engine you need to multiply the fuel tank size by about 5 times.........seen it done on a transit conversion for e research company who were going to sell conversions to the white van men - it was a joke with several massive cylinders slung under the chassis, realistically hydrogen is best purged through a fuel cell to generate electricity which drives a traction motor on the axle, much more efficient, lots of "fuel cell" companies now doing this.........but again - this aint no "long distance" race system ;-)
I don't think so.

H2 has the highest energy per mass(kg) than any other fuel... also has the lowest density(occupies too much volume)...The problem with H2 is that the molecule is so small that it would escape from normal fuel tanks... similar things with LPG... H2 and LPG are naturally excluded from endurance(long races)... of topic, but... but future of H2 may pass to "water"( anyone can laugh how much they want from ignorance) and super efficient forms of electrolysis(google HHOi).

Fuel cell are only around 30% efficient.. leaving modern diesel with the highest efficiency of all... I BET Audi will be diesel in 2011 or else they are in a retirement from race platform ...