View Single Post
Old 29 May 2011, 00:33 (Ref:2887306)   #17
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I think there are two different ranks here. For progressing your career, I would say the importance would be as follows:

F1
IndyCar
GP2
Indy Lights
WSbR 3.5
GP3
British F3
European F3
F2
Auto GP

Obviously, IndyCar and Lights are important in America, but are totally irrelevant nowadays in trying to get to F1, which all the others in the list are ultimately aimed at.

Now, if you want to talk about prestige and quality of drivers at this current time, then the following:

F1
IndyCar
GP2
Superleague
WSbR 3.5
British F3
European F3
GP3
Auto GP
F2

That's my opinion, though I must say comparing American and European open wheel can be like comparing apples and oranges. In some areas it's hard to judge as they can be very different.
Indeed. Esteban Guerrieri was much better than Victor Garcia in Europe, but in America, Guerrieri has the best team in the biz and has no wins, yet Garcia is in a midpack team and won lights to flag this year.

But I disagree about the quality of the fields today. Many have made the argument the WSbR has a deeper field than GP2(The argument has been strengthened this weekend) and GP3 is head and shoulders above anything F3 level, IMO. I'd also argue that Indy Lights has a much more accomplished field than F2 and possibly even Auto GP(I'll do my homework before being too sure on the latter.)