View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2004, 04:04 (Ref:1065593)   #2
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Retro: I would say that 14 meetings is more likely. When you look at the Series Championship, it doesn't really have a lot of races when you consider the testing limitations.

My own thoughts are similar to what you list as rounds in Oz, but with 3 in NSW - Oran Park, Eastern Creek, and Bathurst. That's where the 14 round concept comes from.
There has also never been a complete NO to Phillip Island, if the necessary modifications are made.

What is interesting is what happens if the Auckland Street Race doesn't happen - it actually looks far more likely than not according to insiders.

So my predictions would be 11 Australian races - the way I see it, given the exposure opportunities giving up being a support class at the Grand Prix would create some major sponsor complaints.

That would leave one NZ round, one China round - possibly expandable to a second round on back-to-back weekends, with Bahrain as the 3rd international round.
None of this means that Malaysia, South Africa, or any other number of countries are out of the picture as such.

Tony Cochrane wouldn't want things to grow too fast and resultingly we are seeing a strategic approach to series expansion for both the Supercar Series and the Konica Minolta Series.

What remains to be seen is how many other countries would be interested in hosting a Supercar round?