View Single Post
Old 6 May 2003, 14:25 (Ref:591037)   #38
BlueStang
Rookie

BlueStang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
I don't speak for every CART fan Blue, just like you don't speak for every IRL fan, but I am willing to compromise. From reading your threads, it looks like you tend to favour the ovals and I tend to favour the road courses. I would hate to give up the Toronto Molson Indy because it has been a race that I attend every year and it has been one of CART's stronger events, but I would be willing to give it up. I would take the car/bus NE 5 hours to Montreal or 5 hours SW to MIS if we had one united open wheel racing series. Would you be willing to give up your local IRL race (event)? If we are going to have one ow racing series, there would be some tracks that are essential to keep and there are some tracks we could do without (in both series). If the series were united, the number of quality drivers would go up and in turn so would the quality of races. We could have 25-30 strong races. Remember guys, if you want to compromise, you have to think about the other series racing fans. How can we help grow the fan base in the US? Please come up with something other then...by keeping most of the oval races. The word is COMPROMISE.
Actually, I don't mind the road courses, but I am already a fan. I used to enjoy watching the feeders compete at Mid-Ohio and RA, back when ESPN carried them. What I usually don't find exciting are the street races, although they have their moments...but there again I am already a fan.

I think part of the reason folks lost interest in OW had little to do with a split, and more to do with North American OW becoming less American, and moving towards being more like F1. I like F1, and there again, I am already a fan. However, most Americans don't follow it, unfortunately. Back in the 1970's, OW was still big in the US, & there were years then where the "IndyCar series" included little or nothing but ovals. As ovals were moved away from, and some of the races became parades, Americans lost interest.

I am pretty sure Mario wants to keep the "F1 flavor" in any unified series. IMHO, we can compromise and merge the IRL and CART, and keep a balance of Ovals and Roads, but the more "Euro-centric" the series is, the less likely we are to add many new fans.

Blue