Thread: Getting Started
View Single Post
Old 22 Apr 2003, 18:40 (Ref:576816)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can avoid the cost of a tow car and trailer by racing something like Road Saloons.. but it's still going to cost.

Personal safety gear - c.£500
Licence and ARDS - well over £200
Racing Membership of club - £50+
Race Fees - £130+

Buying a prepared car is usually cheaper than preparing yourself. I would suggest a semi decent Road Saloon would cost at least £3k. Another drive to the circuit option would be HSCC 70's Roadsports.. (MG Midget or Spitfire?) and they have very sringent regs so you can probably buy and prepare a car for under £3k. Cheap road insurance too! And HSCC used to do a deal to novices where you got membership and four races very cheaply in your first year (£400ish).

Other cheap options include, all MG's (Metros cheapest, from £1k per car) - check MGCC and MGOC websites, Fiat Uno's and maybe alfas (although they seemed pretty competitive at Combe) or perhaps CSCC races - but I don't know much about these. Trailer and tow car needed for these..

What about doing a few sprints first (only need a road car, proban overalls and helmet)? That'll let you suss out whether you want to go further for minimal cost - although track time is very limited. But is really convincing me that I need more!

Any other options anyone?