View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3050041)   #30
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Oh, no doubt. It's very painful to see, especially as the GT racing has been so good recently, and in years past there have been some good - if manufactured (ahem RS Spyder vs R10) - battles at the front.

Jonerz, I agree with what you say, and the ridiculous spindoctory emanating from Atherton makes it all the more worse, but I got thinking: what racing fan - or maybe more broadly - sports fan, likes the people running their sport of choice? Go read what the Europeans say about SRO in GT1/3 land, or Bernard in the F1 subforum, or the ACO, or Tony George, or the France family... I watch a ****load of hockey, and pretty much every single NHL fan hates Gary Bettman more than they hate Satan. David Stern and Bud Selig have both been controversial in their tenures, to say the least. Of the big four here in North America, the only decent commish I can think of is Roger Goodell; across the pond, the FA seem to run the EPL pretty well, but I'm mostly speaking outta my ass about soccer.

This is far from the gamut of sports/motorsports, but it's a decent sample I'd say. I am in no way trying to dull the fact that ALMS management are incompetent, but rather trying to illuminate that it seems to be a common (and hilarious!) theme those that run sport seem to be derided by the fans of said sport; and maybe the derision increases with the hardcoreness of the fan, but that's another thought.
We were pretty happy with Juergen Barth running things in GT-Masters, but apparently he has (been?!) stepped down over the winter.

Also, the Brits generally seem to be pretty big on the way Alan Gow runs things for BTCC.