View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3222820)   #3
Peter Cammish
Rookie

Peter Cammish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ivan for sure talent does matter but you need the holy grail of talent and access to around 8,000,000 euros for your 5 years in junior motorsport below F1, so it is a very rarified few who have this combination. Many parents pay advisers, who see them as cash cows and suggest that certain doors can be opened , when this does not happen the whole thing falls over and the dispirited parents feel let down and leave the sport. I hope that this lad gets other opportunities , 16 is way too young to retire from any sport.

I read Autosports look at the Brit guys doing F3 euroseries it was a little sad for a long time motorsport fan like me and one with a vested interest but it does make you realise more and more were higher level sub F1 single seat motorsport is going, as there is no external sponsorship available and why should there be when you think about.

I think the golden years of of motorsport that I remember were largely fueled by tobacco sponsorships and other products which will never comeback, the sport will never produce another Mansell or Villeneuve but it will produce another Senna in due course as Senna with his enormous family wealth is in fact the model you need to succeed, talent is not the preserve of rich or disadvantaged it is I think "born in" so people will emerge and in that sense the sport still has merits even though it is very cruel.