View Single Post
Old 8 Mar 2012, 17:36 (Ref:3037136)   #240
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlBD View Post
So, does it mean anything that apparently regulations state that teams in LMP2/GTE Am must have one or more silver or below drivers, yet the document which lists all the driver classifications says at the end that the document itself "has no regulatory value"? Or is that just fancy rulesspeak confusing me?

After combing through it, it seems there have been very little movements from last year (3-4 drivers have upgraded rankings), and it's weird to see a driver like Marino Franchitti only being rated as gold. Sure, he doesn't fit the exact criteria of open wheeler success that platinum requires, but surely based on the clause that his achievements otherwise can attest he is arguably of platinum grade? Though as you guys have been discussing certainly politics plays a role in deciding these rankings as well...

edit: Also despite so many ALMS drivers being on this listing, Steven Kane is also missing? What do you guys reckon he would probably be rated? I think on the back of last year's performance probably gold.
Fancy rulespeak I guess. And drivers can probably apply for a classification during the season anyway, especially if they are brought in for Le Mans in a class which requires some form of driver rating restriction (i.e. everything bar GTE-Pro). As for Steven Kane, he had quite a "random" career before going to the ALMS, jumping from series to series, but with his pace in the ALMS at the end of last year, he should probably be classified as Gold.