View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3373735)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelF View Post
Maybe still to expensive to run a S2000 car in an championship, that is not very well supported in media etc.

By the way - Procar is already running within a race weekend, as far as i know, around ADAC GT Masters (german GT3 championship). And there are also other racing series at this weekend. So maybe only time schedule problems to have a mini cup race too.

I think more, that they want to say "we have 40 cars on the grid"....
Some good points there. S2000 was definitely not the way of the future, esp since the old 2 litre NA cars were beginning to get quite long in the tooth, and the only replacement for them from FIA classes would have been the even more expensive TC1 & 2 cars. Hence the move to the homegrown Division 1T rules.

I think without these the series' future would really have been in doubt as fields would simply have dwindled away due to the lack of cars and budgets, much of which is actually tied up in Germany's many GT series.

I don't think bringing in the Minis had anything to do with cleaning up the weekend schedules, if anything the GT Masters package was suffering from a lack of support races.

The Mini series lost the backing from BMW and the teams were left without a place to run, so that's why they joined Procar. Also, for the series it's not so much about having 40 cars or more but about eveb getting out of the teens, something they didn't manage very often (if at all) last year. With track rental fees being what they are that was likely another reason why the series' old class structure wasn't viabke anymore.