View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2389663)   #28
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammoda
The Mk4 supra engine is capable of tuning up to 1000 bhp,granted the higher figure is with a turbo but you can tune the the N/A considerably,all for an engine that can be bought for £150 and that would be an engine with a FSH.Now lets see 2K budget on a motor,purchase £150 ,£850 turning it into a very capable reliable machine,these engines stock or tuned are bulletproof,its a cheap and very reliable way to go very fast.
Eh?

You could get 1000bhp from my underpants with the right Turbo. And you can buy my underpants for a lot less than £150. But there's a reason nobody who's at all serious about being vaguely competitive in any class is using either my underpants or Toyota Supra Engines. Because neither was designed for anything like Speed Hillclimb. Toyota Supra engines were designed as an affordable grand touring engine, and my underpants were designed to hold my less pleasant appendiges in place and absorb minor leakages. In other words, lolloping high capacity mass produced engines that can be slung together in 5 hours and last 250000 miles. But whichever way you slice it, that's almost exactly what you don't want from a really good Hill Climb Engine. (ideally you need a unique italian hand crafted engine so light you could blow it off the bench by passing wind carelessly, gives you 700+ bhp NA @ around 12000rpm then self destructs after about 10 miles)You'd have to throw a lot more than £850 shaving off the weight and turning them into something that could develop enough power quickly engough to be in anyway useful.

So enough of this Supra Talk. They are a cheap reliable way of going much faster than the average Vauxhall Nova with an ironing board glued with Bostic to the boot pretending to be a wing, but much slower than virtually everything competing Hillclimb.