View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2480754)   #40
otk
Rookie

otk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
There have been a few hillclimb specials built in Australia in the past using two stroke outboard engines.

They could run with the leading cars (which admittedly were not as hard core as the british F1 engined machines).

Some pretty good configurations to those engines as well. With tuning they'd be getting right up there power wise as well.

Sounded pretty wild as well.

Don't have details I'm afraid (long time ago).
As an examle the merc 2.5 efi outboard complete weighs some 375lbs (170kg) and outputs over 300hp from the propshaft with the drag version rev-limiter which allows for 9000rpm. The powerhead itself weighs in the range of 200lbs (<100kg) and power directly off the crank is probably also slightly higher.

This is more or less off-shelf production stuff.

With off-shelf performance upgrade kits they go in the 350hp range.

Admittedly there is a fair amount of engineering to fit one of these into a car, but the power to weight ratio is still pretty nice.

I realized these power/weight facts when I was looking for a upgrade for my trusty old mercs. It is close to impossible to build anything comparable using parts from engines intended for use on land without blowing your budget.

OK, they are far from Formula-1 level in power to weigh ratio, but so is the price.

I would have loved to see a hillclimb car powered by one of these. I've played around with the idea myself.

-otto