View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2012, 11:21 (Ref:3061965)   #21
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
No, I wasn't really. I didn't want to give you an opportunity to mention his lack of budget or record breaking season AGAIN... Change the record or just get on with life.

As for my proposal to ban datalogging, there are some good arguments for keeping it. I do worry that being able to 'engineer' the mistakes out of a driver will tend to mask the ones that are genuinely talented. Nothing worse than propelling a driver up the ranks only to realise that, deep down, he's lacking in the natural talent needed at the top. Maybe the ban should be on the complexity of the datalogging. Brake, throttle and steering and damper pots (limited to 100Hz so that the drivers learn to FEEL the dampers rather than relying on 1kHz+ analysis of the damper curves), engine stuff (oil pressure etc etc) and the built in accelerometer and GPS data should perhaps be enough. Ban the laser ride height sensors, tyre temperature sensors, load cells etc etc.

Oh, and make it mandatory for all 'ladder' championships to carry onboard cameras AND upload them to a dedicated motorsport website that's a bit like YouTube. But that's just for fun
From somebody that has to remind everybody in every single post, via his foot note, that he is the Monopsoto Racing Club Champion I think your unnecessary opening attack is churlish to say the least. If anyone is displaying signs of a chip on one’s shoulder I would suggest your stance betrays a classic case.
Technology is part of motorsport now as it is everyday life. It’s called progress. Young drivers are brought up with it from a very age. Data logging is used widely in cadet karting with drivers as young as 8 and they get used to understanding and working with it from an early age. I cannot understand your argument about engineering mistakes out of a driver. Why is this a bad thing & how is it any different from good driver coaching on any level whether that be a dad & lad karting team or F1 drivers who still rely on renowned coaches like Rob Wilson etc?
Data logging isn’t significantly adding costs either. The hardware and software are relatively cheap and I would even argue if installed and operated successfully will lead to a reduced testing requirement.
Bottom line is you cannot engineer talent. A driver is either born with it or not. Those that aren’t as naturally blessed can work extremely hard and be just as successful (Graham Hill springs to mind).
You cannot fight against modernisation in sport either. If you want back to basics motor racing the way it used to be then race Historics. A fantastic place to race IMO and spectacular machinery without a doubt and still very much has its place (the Silverstone Classic is without doubt one of the best events on the calendar) but very obviously of its time. A modern Formula Ford car will probably lap most circuits quicker than an F1 car from the early 60’s (have a look at Oulton Park lap times & remember there are now two chicanes there that weren’t there in the 60’s).
Understanding and learning how to use all the tools available to you are what makes a good driver and the younger drivers today are used to it. If they have something at their disposal in karting how would it enhance their development to then withdraw it when they make the transition to cars?
The points Flavio make are far more relevant. A licencing system based on results and achievements in a sanctioned championship should be the criteria for moving up the ladder far more than daddy opening his wallet. To be a sanctioned championship a decent prize should be made available for winning it to create a proper recognised ladder system and allow drivers to progress up the ranks.