View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2020, 18:47 (Ref:3950672)   #76
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Mulling over some old images over christmas relevant to this season and thread.

An additional 3.0 Capri was entered for the BGP supporter by Mark Hales. We covered it in the CC Capri thread some time ago. From livery in the picture the consensus reached was that it was one of the ex Rouse/CS-H cars from 1981....

Did Hales qualify for the race as a reserve but not start the race because of that?

The other question I have is about the Cheylsmore 635. We know it was classed as a 'works' car albeit entered by Cheylsmore Garages and prep'd by Bob Sparshott Automotive. Sparshott being an ex Lotus F1 mechanic who had been running F2 cars in the early 80's.

But where did the car come from originally ans who was it intended for?

I read fairly recently that Frank Sytner originally planned to enter a second Ted Grace built 635 in 1983 to be driven by Brian Yogi Muir? Apparently there was a pre season hitch and a deal couldn't be found to sponsor a 2nd car...

Yogi later shared Sytner's car at the TT and died on the way home later that Sunday.

So it begs the question, was the BS car a separate entry entirely or was a 2nd car built at grace's shops originally destined for Muir but then sold on?

A non specific but related question is how come the BS car was so unreliable in 1984, when it has been fine in Stuck's hands in 1983?