View Single Post
Old 5 Feb 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2627473)   #44
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
Yeah i know, my gripe is the disparate way its being reported on and the way different safety organisations are reacting to it. I've not seen anything on deaths related to this issue, is it definitely the sticking throttle or the foot well mat?

I can't find the number of total cars, but 26 out of whatever that is is going to be a tiny percentage, so the likelihood of something happening is remote, although the consequences could be catastrophic. I also see little reporting on the fact that the assembly isn't built by Toyota but one of their subcontracted suppliers, as most parts on cars these days. They still owe the duty of care, but their supplier should be grilled on it too.

The point is, the chance of it happening is so remote that the threat is being blown out of all proportion. I had a Cincquento once that had a recall on a faulty fuel tank. The likelihood it would corrode early and cause a fire was remote but they dealt with it just like Toyota are. OK so there are more cars involved in this one but the implications and the way its handled should really have been the same. Didn't see that splashed all over the front pages tho
I agree, but I also agree with Ryan. I don't know if the press would be worse with an American manufacturer, but this is certainly a similar reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Which manufacturer do you trust? The one who generally turns out the most reliable vehicles on the road and voluntarily embarks on a huge vehicle recall when it identifies a potentially dangerous fault that has caused a real problem in only a tiny handful of cars, or the ones who try to hide known faults and go to court to try and abdicate responsibility?

Maybe I'm odd, or just maybe I'm one of the few to actually think about this properly, but if anything my faith in Toyota has been enhanced by their handling of this defect. I'd certainly sooner buy a Toyota than anything American.
I don't trust any of them. While this recall is voluntary, they were receiving pressure from the NHTSA to resolve the issue. Or that's what I've heard anyway.

Well I hope you wouldn't buy American... you can't get anything we sell in the UK (with exception of the 300 and vettes). I on the other hand, have never owned anything but GM and Ford products.