View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2008, 00:44 (Ref:2110246)   #16
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin – good point, I probably didn’t give enough consideration to the Brockmobiles, they really started the “special vehicles” thing as an evolution of the Falcon GT & Torana SL/R days. A key thing is there were some models that did not exist purely for homologation purposes. I’m not sure though whether the Group 3 as the ultimate Group C car or getting the first VC car or the Group A car to happen (or perhaps even the final “Polarizer” car??) would be the one to include in the list.

Can’t agree with the VN Commodore being anywhere near the list though – while it may be a minor miracle that it actually happened, the actual cars were terrible. Flimsy, ill-handling junk in my opinion – just look at the changes that came with the VR to “fix” it. The original VB Commodore is an interesting case, while it certainly had its good points, it was arguably also the car that nearly killed GM-H. Just too small & retaining the hoary old red motors was a missed opportunity. The old story though – not enough resources to change everything at once.

275 – I had the Morris Nomad in there as a representative of BMC. I don’t know huge amounts about the earlier BMC Aust cars but that one stood out to me.

Definition of greatest – well that is somewhat a rubbery concept, but that actually helps as it allows you to include cars on the basis of being the best, the most significant or the most influential. At least that is the way I have treated it.