View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2224026)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Guys any idea on what happened to the SLC car? They retired both times as I can see on the results.
The car duly appeared and looked very smart. It has had to be modified to take the Mugen-Honda engine/Hewland gearbox combination, but the installation looks to have been very well done, as I'm able to judge these things. I found a photo here.

Unfortunately, the car had literally not turned a wheel until the Friday practice sessions, which were wet. The car was running at the tail of the field, but not really far away from the pace. It was even wetter for qualifying and Callum MacLeod was 26th and 27th out of 27 in the two sessions. I think they were handicapped by a nearly flat battery, which seems to be a one-off item.

Race day was dry and sunny, which meant starting from scratch again. Callum was 22nd and last in Race 1, and retired from Race 2 after 18 laps, possibly due to the battery finally giving up the ghost.

It doesn't sound that great on paper, but the given the circumstances I thought they did very well and respect to the team for being prepared to jump in at the deep end. I know several people were very impressed.