View Single Post
Old 13 Jul 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2926126)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
I know I mentioned this many years ago, but since this is a new thread, thought it might be of interest?
Liz Crellin was a neighbour of mine when I lived in the village of Alrewas way back in the seventies. The LandCrab was often parked on the driveway, and her co-driver JEAN DENTON would often be at Liz's. Paddy Hopkirk was a dear friend of Liz and Ron and spent a lot of time there.
Hi Gerry- Yes, I remember you posting pics of Jean Denton's LandCrab-
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114865
It was the car she used on the 1970 London-Mexico World Cup Rally, sponsored by Woman Magazine and nicknamed 'The Beauty Box'.

I've seen pics of it on another forum showing it on an early 70's club rally in Kent, though I don't know if it was still owned by Jean Denton at that time- the original poster of the pics thought they were taken between 1972/73. It's still in the blue 'Woman' magazine colours from the World Cup marathon, which it seems to have kept throughout it's career
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...5-2010_040.jpg

I've got a vague memory it's still around- I'm sure I've seen a photo of it as found, unrestored and in a pretty sorry state. Anyone able to confirm that?

The two Marathon events in 1968 and 70 are probably the LandCrab's greatest claim to rally fame in terms of works or works-supported entries, though there was at least one international rally win in the mid-60's- Tony Fall, I think on an event in Czechoslovakia or somewhere in that neck of the woods around 1967.

Apart from Ken Green's car in the pics Les posted earlier in the thread (a veteran of both marathons- funnily enough, there's a model of it sitting on the shelf above my PC as I type this!), I think quite a few of the marathon cars survive.

I remember either Fall or Paddy Hopkirk talking about them in an article in one of the classic car mags a few years back, and saying they were a surprisingly decent rallycar for what they were, as they handled a bit like a big Mini

Last edited by KA; 13 Jul 2011 at 17:12.