View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2969370)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan View Post
I think that it would have been Viana. Shaun v.d. Linde did a few touring car races, as did Mike Briggs (runs some petrol garages in PE, I think).

There's very little point in ZA companies pumping money into international race series when there will be no return on their investment. Most decent ZA drivers go back and race Modified Saloons or Group N type touring cars.

Stephen Watson was heavily involved in the soccer world cup, I believe that Cowie is in Scandinavia now.
Yes, definitely Viana- he drove one of Frank Sytner's BMWs in the 1985 TT, with another South African whose name escapes me. There was another South African pairing in a Terry Drury Racing Alfa in the same race, I think they came over as part of the same deal (IIRC there was a sponsor funding all four drivers for the trip).

I certainly remember van der Linde coming over for the Touring Car World Cup at Donington in '94, and Mike Briggs stood in for James Thompson at Vauxhall for the last few rounds of part of the '95 season after Thommo was sidelined by a big shunt in the 1995 BTCC. I saw him race a couple of times that year, and was impressed.

I remember Watson in F3- later moved to sportscars, IIRC driving Hugh Chamberlain's Vipers in British and FIA GT.

Werner Lupberger is one I'd forgotten- I don't remember much about him in single-seaters (F3 & F3000 IIRC), but he was another who crossed over to sportscars- As I remember he was always quick in Klaas Zwart's Ascari LMP in the early 2000s...
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-08-27-017.jpg