View Single Post
Old 27 Mar 2010, 05:43 (Ref:2660873)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The ALMS has been in real survival mode since 2008, I think.

The development of the LMPC and GTC classes was a part of attempting to stay afloat by appearing in some semblance of health, but of course things still remaining as throughly tricky as they were before. The precariousness of the LMP scenario is a severely critical concern, as it has long been with the ALMS: if that all goes to fudge, then the pooch is screwed (hence why they have gone the LMPC route).

So, yes, I would say its continued existence is in doubt in the sense times are tough: the danger of death by a thousand paper cuts, in particular the snowball effect, is the ever present danger I think.

I still think the odds are reasonably in favour of surviving in the longer term, but, for sure, it is still well and truly in the woods. The thing that helps it get out could well be the very real strength of GT2 (well, I guess I should say GT now): it means there is at least one genuine area of interest to focus on in the races, which is rather helpful from the perception angle with regards media and PR etc.

Last edited by Dutton; 27 Mar 2010 at 05:49.