View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3093809)   #11
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
while I think its great to have Mazda back, I was listening about this on Eurosport and I must say alarm bells were ringing, 2.2L 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel in LMP2......in terms of power per cylinder this thing will be more highly strung than Audis LMP1 V6 turbo-diesel........Audi are rumored to be nudging 600bhp, so thats 100bhp per cylinder, and that was quite a push for Audi having stepped down from a V12 then a V10.......back in the Peugeot V12 days they had 745bhp so only 62bhp per cylinder.......if Mazda are aiming for LMP2 they must be aiming in the region of 480-500bhp, which is about 125bhp per cylinder......I'm not saying its impossible, but they are really jumping in at the deep end with that one and will hardly be making thinks easy for themselves.......that is going to be a thermal nightmare as far as the piston design is concerned, no black smoke allowed either.......best of luck!!!!........I shall watch with much interest.......dual turbo is nothing special, it sounds like great marketing but it dosent have a great deal to offer on such a low revving engine with a narrow power band........oh and standard engine castings too, man they are brave with talk like that, but I guess LMP2 rules dictate it.
They also plan to race this engine in Grand Am's new GX-class, but with a target output of 400hp. Could it be that they'll go for that number in LMP racing as well and then lobby for weight breaks or try to make up for it through torque and fuel consumption?