View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2006, 00:15 (Ref:1633936)   #24
stephen_c
Rookie

stephen_c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Not sure that's a fair comment. I was in the grandstand at the first chicane in Monza when Montoya set the fastest ever Formula 1 lap during qualifying just a few years ago. That was all aero. In 2006 they're not as well funded as McLaren, Renault, Ferrari etc... as they've had to fork out for the engines. Simple as. I think few up or down the pit lane would not agree that Williams, with a good manufacturer behind them, represents a serious threat.
I understand what you are saying, but since I am still a Newbie on this forum, I have to tread lightly for awhile before I can start writing my full opinion in posts. In general, (this is not directed at any one particular team) old skool outfits will find it hard to survive in the new F1 world where money and resources are needed to squeeze every ounce of performance out of a car. The aero package accounts for quite a few ounces of performance. Ron knew the importance of money and resources a long time ago. Other teams were slower to realize. They paid or are paying for their mistakes.