View Single Post
Old 29 Jan 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2382052)   #61
TR7V8
Rookie

TR7V8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram
That is life, and the circuit/promoters of A1GP in NZ upset a lot of people in previous years, who have long memories, and it is up to them to repair the damage, not for others who run and compete in successful meetings to be penalised, especially when we have to pay for our own TV coverage, with no assistance whatever from MSNZ - even though we add substantially to their coffers through licence, permit and levy fees!
The A1GP company isn't going to go round apoligising to people so it can run its race. If it isn't wanted it will move on to the next country until the entire series is run in China.

I'm not a cheerleader for Taupo - far from it. My point is the A1GP is NZ's premier motor racing event - at least it should be if it was run right, & in a country this small there ought not to have been any other significant car racing event planned for the same day. I don't believe that the sprints & the drags & especially jet boat racing conflicts with the A1GP because they are very different formats with predominantly different fans whereas a car race at Pukekohe is in direct competition with any car race at Taupo. If the A1GP race landed on the MG Classic weekend it would be a major blow to both events but Motorsport NZ should be doing everything it can to avoid that.

Even before the tickets go on sale, if it is clear that the A1GP is not supported by the local motorsport fraternity it must make Mr. Teixeira wonder if we deserve to have it. Would this be the same attitude if F1 came to NZ?

Look, I shook my head in disbelief when I saw the race program for the A1. After last year's multiple, series points earning race program the '09 line up was poor. As far as I can tell that was the A1GP organisers call & it tells me they don't understand the local market. They were offered other race classes but turned them down so you have to think the same thing would have happened at Hampden Downs. The CART races I've been to had 2 races on raceday & that was it so maybe by international standards they thought 7 races was good. In this country we are used to better & I can't argue that apart from the muscle cars the feilds were too small, however, you can't pin that on Taupo if it wasn't their call.

Taupo has its own problems. I don't have any great criticism of the track but the accommodation is a real sour note. It is peak season so why should they require 3-4 night minimums? With that kind of attitude the Taupo region deserves to lose the race but that is a separate issue. There were other issues with the event promoters not paying for things until suppliers reached the end of their tether. The stands at Taupo were about to be removed on Thursday because of non-payment but I'd lay bets that the same thing will happen at Hampden Downs when the cash flow is thin.

What I can't agree with is the fact that the NZ motorsport industry doesn't unite behind the A1GP event to make the best of it. Hampton Downs isn't even open yet so Taupo was the only choice for the A1 race so get behind it. If the punters don't turn up then so be it but don't give them more reasons to stay away by giving them another big event on the same day. Once we have 2 tracks then the best business case will win the race & that will probably be HD but untill that time let's not give A1GP a reason to take NZ off the calendar.

I guess I speak as a naive motorsport fan rather than a businessman but I live in Wellington which as we all know is an ideal world.