View Single Post
Old 22 Jul 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2730812)   #148
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
As far as I can tell the only advantage of JP-8 fuel is that it works better in low temperature conditions (does not gel). It has a lower cetane number than regular diesel and hence a longer ignition delay. In fact, the Shell race diesel is a blend of petroleum based diesel and synthetic GTL in order to have a higher cetane number (59.4) than regular diesel.
Yes it was knowned that Audi uses synthetic fuels... my suspicion is what then about petrol ?... some years ago in F1, a lot of teams were complaining that other cars had a noticeably advantage, because of the careful engineered fuels they used, that gave them up to 20% more thermodynamic efficiency

20% is bigger than 10%

Quote:
Audi has found out from racing the Peugeot 908 that closed car have an aero advantage. Next year, with the reduced power this will be even more important. See http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84533
I agree, but with so much aero tunning that R15 received... a continuation is not to be exclude in this first year, because tunning the new engine and all the hybrid setup can be much more important, than a much more time wasting complete clean paper start up for a new car body.

Quote:
I think a setup like the hybrid Toyota Supra is more sensible: 2 small in-wheel electric motors at the front and at the rear 1 bigger electric motor integrated in the gearbox (like Zytek solution/F1 KERS). In-wheel motors at the rear will be messy because the driveshafts are also going to the wheels.
Quote:
Why would you want to drive the front wheels "constantly"? Isn't it better to do this on demand i.e. when the rear wheels lose grip?
That is why i replay out of order. A more careful reading of the rules in past reply that seems the only way... to the point of excluding the 2 small in-wheel hub motors... not generators... because if electric generation accounts for a loss, a magnetic braking action, that might be considered driver help...

That accounts also for traction control systems... are they abolished also ?... my idea of 4 in-wheel motor/generators is that they could work as a great traction control system as well as a ABS system, along with motor/generator action, all in the same system, and 4WD will permit better curve handling, acceleration and braking... ok driver help

And what about electronic blocking control of the rear differential that Audi uses ??... is that driver help, if not, what is the difference in effect from a iso-torsen pure mechanical differential, and other possibly all mechanical traction control and ABS system ??

OTOH, a continuous motor generation action will permit to smood the attrition of the tires and suspension upon irregularities of the road, and in some situation, by the law of conservation of momentum, result in a net gain if energy recuperation upon braking would be allowed. Batteries would last longer and be in average more full of energy in all race conditions. ( otherwise -supercapacitors the petrol way)

" Energy recovery systems using brakes must not be active during braking for curves (driver aids banned)."

this must be the joke of the year... next they will withdraw the driving wheel because that is a driver aid!... go for mind control steering systems instead... only misses this one..

No wonder some privateers are **** off ?... this guys make rules out of the toilet can... that can only make costs to skyrocket.

Quote:
It is not clear whether a chemical battery is the best solution. Toyota used supercapacitors and Porsche a flywheel battery. You need to do a lot of charge/discharge cycles during 24 hours.
Rumors suggest Audi will go for a V6 configuration. See http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...prototype.html
it could be, but the total amount of energy to be released, permitted by the rules, cannot account for a greater "torque" boost by electric motors, sustained but for very short periods of time... that is ... if a Petrol-electric is probable they will go for supercapacitors for a more quick release of energy and better instantaneous torque upon heavy acceleration...Diesel-electric would already have that much torque, a more soft release would be more wise, essentially permitting the engine to save fuel, than to accelerate more quickly...