View Single Post
Old 1 Nov 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3470530)   #417
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
What happened to the #5, and where on the course was it?

Plenty of guys looked to be blowing, or at least abusing, that first chicane. The final chicane looks no worse than the one they had there last year. The inner radius of the revised second hairpin is absurdly tight, which doesn't surprise me. Aside from guys pulling out of the way in practice, I don't see overtaking being terribly likely at that end of the track.

I really did like that tricky approach to and profile of the second hairpin on last year's course. It was a long enough corner, with a unique shape, that guys could come up with different lines to use there. Now, they're all just following each other, line-astern, through the new hairpin.

Maybe, they could have been quicker if Practice 2 was dry, but in any case, the average speed last year to this is about the same. They're quicker for the run out of the first hairpin, and maybe a bit quicker exiting that fast right-hander at Turn 9, I think they're calling it now. Then again, they're slower on the narrower road section, and between the second hairpin and the final chicane.