View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2015, 15:12 (Ref:3598376)   #1
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drink Roborace 2016-17

We've had some discussion about this on the Formula E thread (and General Sportscar Chat thread over at sportscar section) but we need a proper place to discuss this, and not get it all mixed and lost with other stuff.

So as we know, there will be a robotic support series for FE next year, 2016-2017 period. Hour long races with driverless spec electric cars (capable of 300km/h speeds apparently), but the AIs will be programmed by the participating teams itself so it will not be a predictable series controlled WWE circus. The AIs will be independent from each other.

I know a lot of people will turn their backs to this (just as I do for Formula E ) and call it the most boring thing in existence, and yes it is a bit touchy subject but for me this is immensely exciting prospect we're facing here. The future of industry and engineering. I don't particularly care for drivers anyhow. Now, this Roborace thingy itself with spec cars and no manufacturers and road car relevance, nor whacko fantasy tracks (that there could be now without the driver safety sidde) means that the concept is still faaaaaaaaaar away from what I desire it to be, but as initial starting point of possibly something more substantial, it sounds cool. Perhaps later we will get to proper stuff.

To add some new substance to this post so that it wouldn't be entirely rehash from what's been said before, here are some recent quotes from "hu-mans"...

... whom are definitely not participating
https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/a...e-humans-think

Anyway there are no real details of anything substantial regarding this thing and it's about year away in any case, so let's not quite jump to conclusions yet.