View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2941875)   #1795
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Except that the new car is supposed to be significantly faster, and is designed for both road courses and ovals. Ballasting up the new cars to keep the old ones in the game would rather defeat the point of even having new cars. And I don't think you could make the old cars properly competitive with the new ones in "unrestricted" form, especially on non-ovals.

It occurs to me that maybe the other aero kit makers intentionally want to leave a year, to see how the Dallara goes, and use them as a guinea pig so that the 2013 kits will be better. Given how political and "convenient" decisions in much of racing have become, I wouldn't put it past Lola, Swift, or Penske to do something like that.
I seriously doubt Lola and Swift give a damn about all this. The costs of R&D and paying the irl tax will negate any revenue generated. If it was a whole car, fine, but some body panels forget it. In fact I believe I heard a representative from Lola say they don't give a rip about these stupid rules.

They have bigger fish to fry building UAVs, race cars, parts and a whole long list of technology and manufacturing services for car manufacturers, aerospace manufacturers etc.

As I pointed out many moons ago, the dallara has set dimensions with set attachment points for body work. I'm no engineer, I've done some driving myself, I read the trade mags like Race car Engineering and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but with what I know, there are only so many working combinations you are going to be able to craft from those set points, especially to do so safely at 230 mph.

I think all the tenderloin eaters had these absurd fantasies of all this lurid bodywork that would be created, but I don't think that is going to be the reality with a car that needs to punch through the air at 230 mph and stay on the ground.