View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1586936)   #48
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Anyone recall Martin Hone?

Several years prior to the actual races a guy called MARTIN HONE, an ex-racer and operator of Birmingham's OPPOSITE LOCK CLUB came up with the idea of Racing Cars on the streets of Brum. He asked me if I would bring my Swish Anglia to represent the Saloon cars. I remember we started in Victoria Square, down New Street, into Corporation Street left into Bull Street and left into Colmore Row and back to Victoria Square. Thousands lined the streets, the sound was raucous, and exciting. This would be in 1973 or 74. We had all manner of racing cars, I remember Derek Bell, and Stirling Moss were there. I remember it vividly as I did the Commentary for BBC Radio BIRMINGHAM (now Radio WM) along with Steve Roper) My mechanic Dave Neal took the car round the "circuit". But Martin didn't stop there he pestered the City Council for a Birmingham Grand Prix, they said NO. He planned it all out for them, had meeting after meeting with various committee's, they said NO! He came back with plans and ideas and contacts...and backers...they said NO. Then, the next thing that Martin heard was that a Race was to take place. Martin wasn't in the equasion. I never hear anyone even mention the guys name now. Very sad indeed. He started the ball rolling, it really was his idea, his creation. He eventually left the City and went to the country. He deserved so much more from the sport he loved and the City he put on the Motor Racing map. Just thought that it was worth mentioning. I was there and I know what happened. Martin really was the Father of the Birmingham Grand Prix's. Gerry.