View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1587108)   #49
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for the informative post, I never knew that there was an other demostration run of racing cars before 1976 (the last time I know is that Patrick Neve in his Brabham BT45 drove a few laps around the streets near the New Street station but I never managed to find out what is the exact layout that never drove around)

It was Andrew Marriott of CSS (a motorsport marketing company) that got the rights to promote and being involved of setting up the BSP. According to a MotorSport article back in 2002. Martin Hone did a presentation to the council to convince them for the last time to allow him to set up the BSP after he got the Birmingham Road Race Bill from the Parliament and then Marriott walked in and got the deal from the Birmingham City Council after 10 minutes of his presentation!

I remember in the various news snippets I have seen from Central News, I have seen John Nicol (clerk of course) being interviewed, Mike Lawrence from MotorSport and Stirling Moss was the same. There is nothing at all from Martin Hone himself.

MotorSport summed up how Martin Hone felt:

"The man you have to feel most sorry for is Hone, whose baby was snatched away from him at birth."

Where is this Opposite Lock club? Is it based at Gas Street and is it still there?