View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1590738)   #52
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I agree with what's been said so far, it was an excellent event, and one hell of a spectacle.
Just picking up on a few of the points raised so far...
I remember the original Martin Hone idea being publicised, I don't remember when this was, but to help date it, Midlands TV News used Stirling Moss driving around the proposed circuit in a Triumph Stag! (And it did the whole lap without head gasket failure!)

I also remember the 1988/89 events as the Touring Car teams paddock was the Wholesale fruit & vegetable market (the smell was unbelievable in the hot weather!). We had to transport all of our equipment from there around the circuit to the Bristol Street Motors 'pit road' for the practice sessions and the race. Travelling back after the first practice, an impromptu water pistol fight was started between the teams (and we were the only team with pistols!). By the second practice, all other teams came armed with buckets etc, and one team had even filled a pressurised fire extinguisher with water. The BTCC was still fun in those days.

One final memory was seeing the Eggenberger team race preparing their car at the side of the road, as they couldn't get back to the 'paddock' in time before the interior roads were closed again.

Happy days...