View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1347880)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that any driver or car that gets to the end of the Le Mans 24 hours in first place has to deserve it really, but I accept this is a bit of fun. In which case the most obvious candidate for me is the 1952 Mercedes 300SL win. They weren't fast enough and completely lucked in to their victory. The C-types should have won had they not messed about with their front bodywork to increase their speed when they were quite fast enough already, and all overheated early on because the new bodywork failed to allow enough cold air to the engine. The Gordini of Behra and Manson was also faster than the Mercs but retired with seized brakes, as was the Talbot Lago which was miles ahead until the 23rd hour (missed gear, but not necessarily Levegh's fault) and 6 out of the 7 Ferraris retired! I have nothing against Mercs, by the way, but this truly was a lucky victory.