Thread: A1 Bankrupt!
View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2010, 03:31 (Ref:2616064)   #187
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I think the Sheikh's original concept was right.

Agreed. But I think the mistake was to travel the world with the cars and not run it like the Footbal World Cup over a number of venues in the one area.
The logical thing for the Gulf if they want thier circuits to turn a buck and get TV exposure is to run say an 8 race series using Dubai, Bahrain, Qatar and Abu Dhabi each twice. Run the series in December January February in the off season for F1 and most other motorsport. Invite Nations to each provide a team and driver and bring thier own sponsorship, providing the races as a packaged TV production to the World.
While I doubt if you would get too many of the established F1 star drivers, there are certainly plenty on the fringe who would be keen to get both the race mileage and exposure in the off-season.
From a Gulf consortium point of view they get exposure, the basing of the cars in the Gulf and it's attendant technology input and a motor racing season, which with some other events like the Dubai 24hr and the historic carnival which was cancelled this year, that could help fill what is becoming a very well provided for hotel and accommodation industry.
Which Shiek can we get to buy the cars and give it a go?

I hope never to see Tony Texeira connected with another motor racing project.
Agreed!!!!!