Thread: Movies Senna Movie
View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2976839)   #192
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Last point, Senna is seen as a "consumate pro and gentleman". At the time, this wasn't very apparent, but 17 years of new books and literature have re-shaped peoples memories of him.
'At the time', it was very apparent to me (personally) as I was fortunate enough to meet Ayrton, twice in 1990.

First at the German GP, it was late Saturday afternoon & Senna was leaving the F1 paddock with father Milton in a red Honda Prelude. The area was clear as the F3000 teams had packed up & gone. I stood there & gestured as if to wave down a taxi.........& he stopped! I had my copy of "Hard Edge of Genius" in hand, which he happily signed. Then I gave him a hand painted T-shirt I'd made depicting his #27 McLaren at Eau Rouge. The shirt was folded but he proceeded to unfold it & lay it over the steering wheel to take a proper look. I remember his expression to this day, he was genuinely thankful.
By this stage a crowd had formed behind me & Ayrton said "I have to go now".

Four months later here in Adelaide I met him again, this time in the foyer of the Hilton. It was Saturday night & was packed with people. Ayrton was chatting with his dinner group when I approached. At first he (obviously) thought I was just an autograph hunter, however I said "No, I don't want your autograph! You may remember me from Hockenheim, I was the one who gave you the T-shirt!"
With this, he turned to me & said "Oh yes, I remember, how are you?" We then chatted for a few moments & I finished by congratulating him on his pole position that day, we shook hands & he went off to dinner.

Now, I was just a young, flea bitten race fan with no connections or clout. Yet Ayrton, on both occassions, was a "consumate pro and gentleman". He didn't need to stop at Hockenheim & he could've turned his back at the Hilton..........& many other drivers would have.

They say 'you should never meet your heroes' as it will always leave you disappointed.

To that I say it depends on who your hero is!