View Single Post
Old 14 Feb 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2397329)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Having now seen the race (GP2 on a Friday night?!!! Yippee)

The stand out story from the race was clearly tyres, or rather tyre management.

It seemed a lottery. Some people were literally seconds a lap quicker than others early on, then fell away whilst a lot of the slower guys to begin with who are usually quick guys all of a sudden found that lost time, but by then it was a bit late. Well that's what I thought.

Petrov definitely slowed Perez down after the stops but not enough to cost him the win. Nico had already done enough before his stop to come bak out in front. Hulkenberg was another of the guys who inexplicably lost loads of time during his first stint, only for the tyres to come back to him.

Other noteworthy performances: Parente early on was mega - passing cars all over the shop and pulled a brilliant move on (Mortara?) round the outside of T1, a move that the strangely aggressive Javi Villa also pulled on Valsecchi a couple of laps later (but then like Alvaro, Javi's tyres were clearly very good in the beginning whereas Valsecchi, Mortara and the DAMS cars clearly weren't!)

Kobayashi has a weird one: quick, slow, quick, slow and then right at the end mega quick?

I'm curious overall. Maybe there was a strange batch of rubber, or maybe it was just the track conditions - sand clearing away then blowing back on combined with the track getting rubbered in so to speak?

Night race was great though, great spectacle. Looking forward to today's at 5.30 pm in UK I believe?

Last edited by chunterer; 14 Feb 2009 at 18:25.