View Single Post
Old 11 Feb 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2631378)   #69
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
The accelerator and brake problems could be independent problems but with the same root cause of a gremlin in the ECU that's creating or playing a part in the problem.
the problem on the accelerator is excessive wear on mechanical parts sometimes leading to a sticking throttle. it could not possibly have anything to do with the ECU, which would be a software issue as being reported on the Prius.

Theoretically, at what point does a company "know" they have a problem that needs a recall? One death shouldn't make anyone take a kneejerk reaction and recall all the cars. It has to be investigated thoroughly and that takes time. Every single incident has to be checked individually & sometimes a common fault maybe found, but the cause of that fault may not be common. Only after many incidents, investigations and common causes of the same fault can someone practicably start contemplating recalling the cars. For that reason, and the tiny number of times they have reported the same issue, i can see why its taken them years to acknowledge the issue then start the recall.

Think of it in a similar way to a pandemic. 1st its a local issue, then spreads to a town, then a county, then a country, then internationally. If its something new, like swine flu, you can't just shut down countries on the off chance its really bad. You take a calculated risk, and from what i can tell that is exactl;y what Toyota have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
We've also got an 08 Yaris which I thought was due to be on the list. Where did you get the info that yours isn't?

[edit] just checked the Toyota website and mine is affected, so I've completed the contact details, lets see what happens next[/edit]
Yep used their recall microsite and confirmed via the VIN that it is not part of the recall. I'm assuming yours is not an SR