Old 10 Dec 2003, 13:33 (Ref:808304)   #95
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Michael Oliver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kojima_KE007
Having seen the picture of the T280 that is in Rosso Bianco (thanks very much for that Jeremy! ) and read your posts, it is highly likely that the one in Germany (Rosso Bianco) is the chassis number 04. (Does everyone agree with this?)

The other thing that is bothering me is, does anybody know which chassis Bonnier was killed in for sure?

Regarding the "chassis in Italy" comment that I made earlier, it came from a person who knows a thing or two about Lolas out of nowhere... so I can't really say anything on that. I will speak with that person again and see if I can get the details behind that comment.

Do any of you have any pictures of T280s? I think it would help if we could all see the same pictures. So I post a picture of the chassis 03 in action (sorry for the bad quality...) driven by Noritake Takahara (not that it helps much as we know that our associate owns it...). It is in white but was later painted into red as it was sponsored by Coca-Cola for the last few races of 1972 Grand Champion series.
Kojima

I am pretty sure too now in my mind that the car in Rosso Bianco is 04, but I guess you can never be 100%!!!

Thanks for the photo. I have accumulated a lot of T280 pics (including 10 of the Takahara car) but don't think I am able to post them as I've never successfully managed to attach an image - don't you need a website or something to host them? I could email them to you if you send me a private message with your address.

I think it is generally accepted that JoBo died in HU02. I'm fairly sure that if you look at a photo of the other Ecurie Bonnier car (I have a picture of Larrousse in it during the race)it has the distinctive diagonal roll-hoop brace that I was talking about which identifies HU01 from the other chassis. HU03 was already in Japan by the time Le Mans took place, while HU04 was debuted by Carlos Gaspar the weekend after Le Mans, IIRC.

Like Jeremy, I'd be very interested to hear about the 'Italian connection'. Incidentally, I don't know if you have seen the photo of the Ulf Broman car (which I believe to be HU01, see my messages from yesterday) but this has a number of decals on it with Italian connections. For example, there is one for the Lauro Restaurant in Modena, a Ferrari sticker, plus several others such as USAG - (tools maybe?), AGB and an unknown logo of a red flag with an 'S' on it, perhaps suggesting that the owner prior to Broman was an Italian or raced the car in Italy.

I think it is almost certain that an Italian did drive HU01 (Ciro Nappi, 1978 Monza 1,000kms, DNQ) but I understand that he was from Naples so I don't know why he would be carrying sponsorship from people around the Modena area but who knows! According to my best estimates, this car was then sold to Pascal Pessiot, who I believe was French and entered the car (reportedly with a Chev engine) for the 1981 Brands Hatch 1,000kms but it did not appear.

Hope this helps but await anything you can dig up with interest!

Michael