View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2011, 03:15 (Ref:2997362)   #858
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, division hurts the sport but the prevailing view is that the sport was healthly in the first place.

There have been those that have suggested that the people who have split to create ST are in some way selfish or whatever. Look back over the last 30 years and realise that the major players have been instrumental in providing quality motorsport. These people are incredibly committed to the sport

This is not to suggest that if they all bought a fishing boat the sport would be rubbish. A new form would develop. But, I think that while every competitor is a stakeholder, some stakeholders are more equal than others.

I don't for a moment think the decision to break away was taken lightly.

The current T1 show has lost its STARS. If these stars had a value, and we know they do, then why has the current administration failed to retain them?

As for what makes good racing? I used to bemoan the lack of variety and hanker for the good old days with limited rules and a mix of machinery.
Speed costs money
Development costs money
There is only so much to go round.

With good drivers, mixed make racing can a display of playing to your strengths and exploiting the other guys weaknesses. In reality, better drivers get backed up by those with skillful wallets. The skillful wallets don't learn to drive any better (Think GT1)
Class racing contains costs and develops drivers.
I like the idea of racing as soccer. Each pass (goal) should be deserved.

Seeing cars driven sideways, excess blocking and avoidable contact is poor racing.

So good grids, big cars, fast cars, noisy cars.